Sunday, August 16, 2009

A blast from the past

Now for something completely different.

If you expecting a reflective discourse on the nature of the revealed and the hidden dimensions of disease with today's spying techniques on the body - CT, PCR, PET, MRI, and so on - and how they can shatter the surface calm, you need to wait, it is coming

Today, I share some connection with my younger self and a very special friend from more than 40 years ago.

Would I recognize that naive swimmer and scholar with the world opening before him. Would we be friends? I hope so. I could learn so much from that younger man and his plans to try to change the system from within. His hungry eyes on the prize, the prize of love and joy and the thrill of pushing the limits and winning. I still hear his voice in my ears, but it not the lusty defiant shouts of the expanding universe, the coming of age in the late 60s and 70s, but more the same still quiet voice that spoke to Elijah. Remember, it whispers, remember that it is all about the people. It is all about connections. And now it seems reconnections.

I worry that too many loops are closing, too many snakes are swallowing their tails and their tales, that it portends a personal cataclysm, but my wife and my friend tell me it just the realities of Facebook and being 58 years old. I am again, being overdramatic.
Meanwhile, Tom Robbins is tattooing the secret of life on my thick forehead (Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Deut 11:18) so I won't forget it again:

EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED

A dear friend from the far away past has dug up these black and whites of me from my buffer days when I was a wide eyed 16 year old, when my worries were different and all was possible.

Thank you. Thank you so much.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home