Sunday, May 30, 2010

Taking a necessary risk and a break for poetry

Today I took what I knew was a foolish, but I deemed to be a necessary risk and today I won.

Taking a medicine could have been a fatal gamble. I am still edgy and overwhelmed. Let me sober up from the rush of staring at the void and the void blinked first. Let me wait and tell my story tomorrow. It will be less dramatic in the morning.

Time for a break from death defying antics, and let's hear a poem.

A friend, a fellow traveler, sent this from Portugal, from a balcony overlooking the Atlantic. I am lucky to have such unmet friends in my life.

I also want to share with you my favorite poet C. Cavafy's wonderful "Ithaca" because it so well describes our journeys:
"Hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery
...
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high,
as long as a rare excitement
stirs your spirit and your body.
Laistrygonians, Cyclops,
wild Poseidon - you won't encounter them
unless you bring them along inside your soul,
unless your soul sets them up in front of you..."

She also said "Horizons are important to both of us."

That's the raw truth.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You are so lucky to have so many friends, unmet or not, and poetry to sink into . . . you have so much!

May 31, 2010 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger susiegb said...

I love Cavafy ... haven't read him for ages, must look out for the book of his poetry that I know is somewhere in my house ... :)

May 31, 2010 at 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home