Sunday, August 29, 2010

Philip Roth on weakness in friends

Philip Roth said in his 2008 book, Indignation, speaking through the voice of a Jewish mother to her troubled 19 year old son, cautioning him against his choice of a troubled girlfriend:

"Because other people's weakness can destroy you just as much as their strength can. Weak people are not harmless. Their weakness can be their strength."

Ouch. Ain't that the hard truth.

Compassion? Yes.

Counsel and help? Of course.

Putting my own heart and soul at risk? As long as I know the risks and am willing to take the chance on being pulled under in my attempt to save the one who is drowning.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I have one very good friend like that; for more than 30 years he has taught me what friendship is. And I am the better person for knowing him. Alison.

August 30, 2010 at 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home