Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Waiting for perfect knowledge?

It is always easy to tell when it is too late or too early to start therapy.

It is always easy (at least for me) to second guess any disease management decision.

It is never possible to get it all right and have all the facts.

So what to do?

For me, the answer has always been to get the best information and the best advice from the best people, and then act and stay mindful.

Some choices, such as a transplant, mean that you can't always be aware or mindful. You are just going to be too tired or too sick some of the time. That is where you need a well meshed team of loved ones to be your ombudsmen and of experts to execute the plan. These two groups will keep their eyes on different pieces of the puzzle, but they must communicate. This combo will give you the best chance to handle most of the inevitable bumps on the road so that you can keep moving forward.

Which brings me to another topic.

And another golden nugget:

If you don't know where you are going, you will never get there.

Assuming my chosen path of rituximab and cyclosporin continues to work its biological magic, and my nodes melt away not just where I and Dr. Kipps can palpate, but deep in the darkness of my mesentery, do I pull the trigger on a second transplant, a second shot at a cure and not just a remission?

That would mean a preliminary course of higher octane chemotherapy such as FCR or bendamustine with R or O to further reduce the disease burden and weaken my T cells so that I won't reject the graft as I did last time.

Or do I play out the string a little further in a different direction? Avoid tried and true chemotherapy and engage a newer sexier tango partner, such as one of the tyrosine kinase inhibitor in clinical trial now that doesn't promise a cure, but just a longer and gentler dance.

The risky cure or the unproven promise of a long deep remission?

There is a yet another saying in medicine. This one speaks to the appeal of a new medication.

Better use a new drug soon while it still works.

Is this too cynical an approach? Weren't all medications newborns at some time?

Some "new" drugs (triptans) have grown to be old and trusted friends and other (DES) have been run off leaving behind a trail of shame and tragedy. Some (Penicillin G) have been mostly pushed aside by the newer models, and others (thalidomide) have risen from the dead to find new life in novel therapeutic fields.

So what do I chose?

The devil I know or the devil I don't know?

The honest answer is that I never really know anything fully.

Like the gift of any photograph, I get the truth, but it is always incomplete and always has a built in point of view.

The best I can do is to calmly contemplated the options, purposefully act, and stay aware.

And have my trusty team in place for when I can't.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Tom B said...

Glad to hear the Rituxan therapy is doing some positive things for you.

July 12, 2011 at 11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go for the old coin flip! Or maybe the short straw.......decisions, decisions.....this is a very hard call. But bottom line you need to do what is right....what feels right in your gut......I pray that the Lord leads you to the right decision.

Blessing,

Judy

July 13, 2011 at 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home