Sunday, July 13, 2008

Day 12+

Very tired and sore, and not very literate this morning. More sores, now in my increasingly hairless scalp.  Between ice packs for my sore PICC line and hot packs for my sore nose, I am quite the study in contrasts. Little sleep. I have no doubt that this is a minor detour on the road to a cure. I am being treated for infected hair follicles (folliculitis) and disseminated herpes (my diagnosis with the help of a doctor friend) I know, I am not supposed to be playing doctor but this is critical stuff and playing doctor is what I do. Infections are the leading cause of morbidity and mortality in the immediate post transplant period.  I have no intentions to be morbid and while I am mortal, I don't plan to exercise that option for another 40 years or so.

There is some very  good news is my ANC (neutrophil count) has climbed to over 200 from a low of 70, which just might mean I am starting to engraft. 500 is the magic number.

I will try to write more later in the day. Sleep now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home