Sunday, August 10, 2008

"And your friends, they treat you like a guest" Jefferson Airplane

My daughter's boyfriend is flying in for a visit from NYC to SoCal. That's great. What's bad is that he had a productive cough and feels achy. He will need to wear a mask in the house, but how does he eat? Out on the patio, I guess.  We will try to make it feel homey. We put up a canopy and a moved a nice table and chairs underneath. I can smile at them from the kitchen doors.

The dogs are being boarded because one of them grew MRSI (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus intermedius) on a skin rash. MRSI is not nearly as bad as MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), and tends to be species specific so it is much less of an issue for us humans, but it still poses a possible risk to someone immunosuppressed.  So both dogs are gone until their cultures are clear. The whole family had nasal swabs to check for colonization with anything unpleasant. Maybe I am over-reacting, but Staph. can be a bad player.

My stomach still grabs me and makes me pay attention to it instead of what I was doing. Still get tired easily and need to nap. Most days I do about 15 minutes on the Nordic track and a light routine with the weights. My rash is better. Here's my secret. I am taking my Septra (Bactrim) DS  1 tab  2 x a day  since this Staph. stuff started with the dogs. I think the extra doses of the antibiotic are helping the rash. I am only supposed to be on it twice a week to prevent pneumocystis and toxoplasmosis. They are both as nasty as they sound, but low doses of meds are all that are need to prevent them. Treatment is a whole other issue. I promise I will tell my doctor at clinic tomorrow about my self-medication.

I have been reviewing a paper for publication on neuropathic pain, which is a welcome diversion, but my comments are due tomorrow, so it was much work over just a few days. 

Patty wanted Citizen Kane and Tea with Mussolini as our first Netflick film. Trouble is that Patty keeps falling asleep. Movies are her great soporific.

Next week 3 of my 4 kids have birthdays.   "Don't you want somebody to love? Don't you need somebody to love?" No problem here, Grace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You are doing great and let’s keep it that way. Stay away from the boyfriend and the pets, you have come too far to have any set backs now.

August 11, 2008 at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home