Tuesday, August 5, 2008

" I got a name" Jim Croce

I've gotta get a message to you
The Bee Gees

Here is the latest letter I sent to my donor.
Remember that I can't reveal walks on the beach which I do most nights. That would be a geographic clue. I can't talk about this blog. I can't reveal my name. This rabbinic student might be surprised to learn my Hebrew name is Baruch or Blessed. We don't get to chose our families or our names, but I am happy, or should I say blessed with both.

Dear Donor,
I am writing you with another update and a bit of an explanation of the steps involved in my healing process.
I am now 35 days post transplant and am continuing to do well. I am seen at the clinic twice a week for blood tests which remain stable. A second very special test also showed no cancer in my blood 1 month post transplant. This is great news. This week I also get back the 30 day post transplant test that tells me how well your cells are taking over the functions of my bone marrow. It is a critical milestone on the road to the cure, as it is necessary for your cells to engraft and dominate my blood and immune systems to then kill off the leukemia (this is called "graft versus leukemia" or GVL). What i don't want is too much "Graft versus Host" (GVH) and I have been fortunate in that regard. I have had no problems so far. Again, no matter what the tests show, I would do it all again in a heartbeat.
I remain mildly anemic, and still have some issues with skin infections and stomach problems, probably due to my chemotherapy, but overall I am doing much better that expected so soon after transplant. I am remained so blessed.
I am getting out of the house in the evenings to walk with my wife. I have even gone to a few movie matinees. I need to wear a mask and avoid crowds, but it is great to be outdoors.
Thank you again for making all of this possible.
Be well. G-d bless.
Your grateful recipient

2 Comments:

Blogger Babs/Bill Verbrick said...

Brian,
Just wanted you to know that we are thinking of you & praying for you. It sounds like things are going well. We're grateful for all your care & look forward to you getting your health back. Enjoy those walks on the beach! Our prayers will continue.

Babs & Bill Verbrick

August 5, 2008 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger Susan C said...

It's great to be able to read the letter you wrote to your donor, but if "walking on the beach" is too much of a clue, then you may not want to post the correspondence online.

If the donor were to pull out five innocuous key words (gvh gvl 35 days walk) and put them into a Google search, your blog comes up third from the top.

August 6, 2008 at 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home