Monday, July 14, 2008

Hair today Gone tomorrow

Thy knotted and combined locks to part
And each particular hair to stand on end
Like quills upon the fearful porpentine.

Shakespeare

The problem with this rapid loss of hair is not just the vanity issues, it's the hair in everything issue. Not just the shower drain (gross), and the pillow (itchy), but I have in my eyes (blurry) and mouth (tickly).
I have hair on my keyboard and in my food. Hair everywhere. Reminds of Pharaoh and the frogs.
How do I to respond?
Should I wear a beanie (for my Quebecois friends, that's a toque)?
When will it end?
Will I become glabrous or just bald?
The good thing is this certainly a self limiting problem. Either the alopecia just stops of its own accord or I just run out of hair.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mitchell Childs said...

I tell my wife that I now have a solar panel for a sex machine!

July 14, 2008 at 5:42 AM  
Blogger Karen O said...

I once got a short story about hair from someone ( I no longer have it so I can't quote the author). The gist of it is that a woman woke up one morning with 4 hairs on her head and she said that it would be a great day that she would part her hair down the middle. The next morning she had 3 so she said it would be a great day and she would braid her hair. The next morning she had two and she said it would be a great day and she would wear dog ears. The next day she had one and she said she would put it in a ponytail. Then next morning she woke up with no hair and said "It's a great day, I don't have to fix my hair today." My husband lost his hair 4 times. He usually just goes and gets it shaved off at the beginning to minimize the hair in everything as much as possible. This time it has come back mostly black (like it was in his twenties) with some white and red. I tease him and say he is a calico. He is 57 and has had lymphoma in his brain 2 times and in his eye once. He had a stem cell transplant using his own cells back in March. That is an easier recovery than an allo transplant, but daunting none the less. His team did a pretty good job of managing side effects as long as we kept them informed. We wish you the best. Take care and aim for positive as much as you can. Karen Owens

July 14, 2008 at 8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian - I can hook you up with the Wig Master at Cirque! That might also involve eyelashes however.....hmmmmm; now THAT'S a visual!!!!! Love, Pam

July 14, 2008 at 9:02 AM  
Blogger Allison Klein Foley said...

Brian, I had no idea any of this was happening. Nadine Demartino forwarded the link to your blog and I am so moved. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope to see you back at work here soon! Keep writing.
allison foley

July 14, 2008 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

At least your will all grow back. Mine is have other issues that require solutions that crush the ego.

July 15, 2008 at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home