Friday, August 12, 2011

Rift on "How ya doing?"

Gregg writes a great blog detailing with humor and true colors the cold realities of the trials of a post transplant journey.

In response to his response to the question"How are you doing?", which is almost always followed by: "You look so good." I wrote the following comment.

Gregg,

I too hate when people tell me how well I look. And ask with genuine concern about how I am doing. The truth is way too complicated and depressing. I may look good but I've got scary huge nodes hiding out in my guts, my bone marrow has aged 10 years in the last 3 years from the hit it took in the failed transplant, I take enough medicine twice a day to choke a T-REX to keep me "looking good", I have fatigue that you could cut with a knife, and my CLL is getting less and less responsive to my latest moves and I better think carefully of my next therapy cuz my options are limited.

But instead I say: "Thanks for asking. I am happy to be here and looking good". Which is also true.

And is also a very good place to be with still a few good cards to play and a lot of game left in me.

Stay strong bro

We are all in this together.

Brian

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you read the article in the L.A. times on August 11, 2011 titled, "HUGE" results raise hope for cancer breakthrough? It is about the breakthrough in treating leukemia. I instantly thought about you.

August 13, 2011 at 1:30 PM  
Anonymous Brenda Corderman said...

Thank you for clarifying how catch phrases like "How ya doing" can feel given the magnitude of what you and others are dealing with on a daily (and sometimes minute-to-minute) basis.
There's a fine line between avoiding saying
something (out of concern of getting it wrong) and using an everyday catch-phrase, which can minimize what you're going through.
~ Brenda

August 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home