Monday, May 14, 2012

More Good News at the end of the first week of Ibrutinib (PCI-32765)

The exam at clinic today at the James by Gretchen, my PA, and Dr. Byrd confirmed my lymph nodes were much smaller.

My white blood count and lymphocytes doubled but only from six to twelve and from two to four respectively, but everyone seemed happy with those numbers.

Dr. Bryd says the rise in the lymphocyte count is not a prerequisite indicator of the ibrutinib working. Not at all. I had expected a much higher jump up in the ALC (lymphocytes) with my nodes shrinking so much and the unanchored clonal B cells needing to go somewhere, but Byrd said that in those such as me with ofatumumab already aboard, may not get as big an inflection in the counts.

Hgb is stable but still a touch low, eosinophils are up a bit again, and neutrophils and platelets are all good.

My GI issues are manageable and should gradually improve. Apparently they are more common on those of us like me with big abdominal nodes. They usually decrease over a few weeks. Makes sense.

And Dr. Byrd says he reads my blog. I feel honored.

The news is very very good. Still tired and muscle pains, but happy. More soon.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Brian. I am happy to see that it works for you. I wish that it will be a big step forward for you to have a good quality of life without a big impact from CLL.

Best wishes from Germany

Michael

May 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM  
Anonymous Susan said...

So glad to hear this. My husband is in the NIH trial with Ibrutinib only, 17p deletion, and his lymph nodes are undetectable after just 6 weeks. The baseball size node under his arm was down to the size of a marble in the first couple of weeks.
Best wishes to you from Brimfield, MA
Susan

May 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home