Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Old friends Simon and Garfunkel


But all my words come back to me 
In shades of mediocrity 
Like emptiness in harmony 
I need someone to comfort me

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound
Home, where my thoughts escaping
Home, where my musics playing
Home, where my love lies waiting
Silently for me
Silently for me
Silently for me


S and G


Day 14+ ( 86 or so to go)

Just a vanilla update today.

A better day. PICC line pain was improved when I stopped weighting lifting with the left arm that has the plastic tubing running from the skin into the deep vein and on to the armpit, before it stops just above the heart in the superior vena cava, The radiologist says he's seen the catheters more inches just with respiration, so pumping iron may not be the smartest thing. DAHH. Hey, I am a slow learner, and I have so little recreation to look forward to.

My rash is mostly gone and my nose has that dry itchy healing feeling. I did not realize how tender and itchy my hair roots on my scalp would be as my hair continues to drop at alarming rates into the most annoying places.

My neutrophils are frustratingly the same as yesterday. I remind myself that it is the trend that counts, not a single value and my trend is good. The other labs show little change which also is good.

Tonight they are drawing a fancy DNA test that will tell what percent of my various blood components are from my donor and how much is the old me. In other words it measures my degree of engraftment. I will be so happy when I learn to what extend I am being reborn in a few days. This is early to do this test and that too is good. That is my next milestone and it's a big one.

I have now been in hospital for 3 weeks. And I am bored. My fatigue stops me from reading too much or any serious writing. TV is still stupid, even when you are in hospital. In hospital, the simplest tasks take forever, so there is much down time. To brush my teeth, I need to disinfect my hands, then disconnect my IVY, curl up her cords, check all the tubing, and only then can I amble the few feet to the sink.  I then reverse the whole process on the way back. You get the idea. 

My best friend Todd visited and that was wonderful.  It would be great to sit on a park bench like in the tune by S&G, but being with my old friend  was the real prize. Family and friends are what it all about.

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy Cleri said...

Good mornig Dr.K.......

Ok, it't time to give up on the hair. Who knows you may be just beautiful bald! Just think how much easier it would be. No more running your hands through the old hair........or combing it!. Hum, That sounds pretty good. Maybe I will try it....NOT....

We are all anxious to get your results to see how young you will be when you come back next year. I kinda like the idea of having a 22 or 23 year old doctor looking after me. :-)

You need to do exactly like your doctors say....not like some of us out there, because I know I will have hockey tickets that I won't be able to use. There always are. Maybe close to the end of the season you will be up to going to a game. Hey they are free and come with free parking.......talk about a cheap night out.

Glad that today is a better day. Praying for a complete and total healing from the top of that bald head to the tips of your toes.

Have a blessed day.

Judy

July 16, 2008 at 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home