Sunday, February 22, 2009

Judy Blue Eyes Sings Leonard Cohen

This is a post I put on a Leonard Cohen fan blog.He has just announced his first NA tour in 15 years.

I just saw Judy Collins at the Coachhouse in San Juan Capistrano. Her soaring voice was better than on the albums from 4 decades ago. Her final encore was a song brought to her by a published Canadian poet in NYC. He said he couldn't sing or play and wasn't sure it was a song. She said he could do both and it sure was a song. She told him that she was going to record it the next day. The song she heard that night in 1966 in the village and played last night in Orange County was, of course, Suzanne. The rest is history. Last night was a recapitulation of that history. Towering. Immediate. I cried. For those who visited my blog http://bkoffman.blogspot.com/ know that LC's songs are the music echoing in my head and that has helped me reached this time 7 months post bone marrow transplant. And now I will get to see him in concert again. I am a lucky man.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I thought of you immediately when I read the announcement of the LC tour in the LA Times. Pictured you doing cartwheels or whatever you do when you're elated.

February 22, 2009 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger Simon C. said...

Hi, Brian. I just got tix to hear Leonard Cohen in Philly in May. I don't know if I'll be able to make the concert but dreaming of seeing him in person is keeping me going this week.

March 4, 2009 at 4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home