Tuesday, October 26, 2010

More Good News

I stopped my diuretic (water pill) that tends to raise uric acid. Replaced it with losartan, an ARB that blocks renin from the kidney that constricts blood vessels and raises pressure. In the blockage, the pressure drops and the kidney does better. I am also aware that it can modestly lower uric acid. This is one of the benefits of doing so much lecturing. This little known beneficial side effect of this common blood pressure pill is something I learned when teaching about gout. I am very lucky to have such access to such helpful esoterica.

The magic worked. Uric acid fell in a week to 7.9 from 9.4 suggesting either:

1: I heal fast
2: My medication changes were magical
3: The prior test was a lab error
4: My uric acid has a mind of its own

Moreover, my blood pressure is back in the normal range, though it could be better. My kidney function remains normal and stable.

On the hematology front, my platelets were a remarkable 344,000. The rest of my CBC is all good, though my Hbg (hemoglobin) was down a bit at 13.7 and my MCV (mean cell volume) up a bit at 100. More on that later if it turns out to be an actual worrisome trend. Right now I feel very secure in ignoring it. Or at least just monitoring it.

Had my first rituximab of six weekly infusions (500mg/M2) last week, and happy to say it went off without a hiccup. My small neck nodes and even smaller, but not gone so that suggests I am still sensitive to its effects and still need more. It is probably busy shrinking my critical mesenteric nodes as I am typing away.

This is all good news.

That's good because I am scheduled to be in 7 cities for lectures or meetings over the next 4 weeks.

Included is a visit with Dr. Kanti Rai in Long Island, while I am lecturing nearby, also Chicago, then St Charles and Springfield, Missouri, another visit to my daughter and son-in-law in San Francisco, and a very short drive to speak in Anaheim.

I am already tired before the first flight.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger J.R. said...

Glad to hear the good news. Knowledge is power.

October 29, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home