Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Not so bad

Another day, another bone marrow biopsy. I asked Dr. Forman, while doing the procedure, if I should have a DEXA test (a scan to check my bone density which can be adversely affected by a transplant and steroids and a bunch of other insults that are part of my past). He said he was doing one now.

What we meant was the bone was awful tough to penetrate with the needles for the biopsy and aspiration. I guess that's good.

That said while it was a pretty yucchy experience, especially that sucky feeling when he aspirated the marrow, it was not that bad. First he numbed up my back side pretty good, and the pain was minimal. Just some tenderness now.

Results in a few days. Last time 2.8%, this time.....

Here's hoping my CLL has been dawdling since my marrow was last assayed 6 months ago.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had 10 or 11 BMBs (why count when you are having fun?).

They are increasingly painful. I told Dr. Kipps that I wanted pain medication. He now prescribes percocet an hour before the procedure.

It works well; the pain is very manageable.

February 12, 2010 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Chonette said...

Brian, I have had 8 BMB done by 7 different doctors and all were smooth and painless with just local anaestetics.
I wonder if you can help on this other issue since you mention the bone density test. Some years ago at the advise of Terry hamblin I was send to have a bone density est, it showed I had a bit of osteoperosis, so I started taking weekly alendronic Acid as well as continuing the calcium and D3.
At my last BMB the young doctor said my bone was very hard, when I saw my GP for a chat I mentioned this and asked her if she knew the bones impruve with Alendronic Acid and she said she thought the Alendronic Acid just keeps it from getting worse but she had a note from another doctor about a patients saying the bone did not improve, which indicate they were expecting improvement.
Do you have any light into this, I have not ask for another bone density test even I have had mega doses of melthilprednisolone before my SCT, as I am not terribly worried about it but I am curious to know more, a dear friend of mine was president of the Osteoperosis society in our area years ago and I always keep up-to-date with news.

February 13, 2010 at 5:37 AM  
Blogger Brian Koffman said...

Chonette,

All the bisphosphonates, including alendronic acid, can stabilize and in some cases improve bone density. Calcium and Vit D3 are also needed.

How long to take bisphosphonates is a question that is just beginning to be studied, as they stay in the bones long long after you've stopped then.

Brian

February 13, 2010 at 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home